We’ll get to the YMTC and the updates to Slivers in future posts.
I walked into my local game store, Uncle’s Games, and was asked if I wanted to be part of something cool. Of course, I do, doesn’t everybody? I was told that the game store is announcing its first ever Summer Invitational. This was cool.
It looks like at the moment that it will semi-represent the old Invitationals that WotC used to do with the pro players (here’s coverage of the 2005 Invitational). Uncle’s decided that it would be a tournament of 16 people, where everyone would get an invite through different means. Some of the people would be invited from their Bellevue (Washington) store, others from their Redmond (Washington) store.
It would all culminate on August 17th where the winner gets 4 copies of From the Vault: Exiled. You know FtV: Exiled, right? Balance, Beserk, Channel, Gifts Ungiven, Goblin Lackey, Kird Ape, Lotus Petal, Mystical Tutor, Necropotence, Sensei’s Divining Top, Serendib Efreet, Skullclamp, Strip Mine, Tinker, and Trinisphere. Basically a nice Vintage/Legacy/Commander/Cube starter pack of awesome cards. A playset of them (for those of you keeping track at home). Plus more prizes will be announced as we get closer to the event.
I nodded my head, “Yeah, I like this. How do people get an invite?”
Qualifying Events (At Uncle’s Games Bellevue unless otherwise noted):
1. Dragon’s Maze League (May 5th – June 5th)
2. Uncle’s Games Redmond – League (Thursdays, May 30th – August 8th)
3. Uncle’s Games Redmond – Dragon’s Maze Game Day (May 25th, Noon)
4. Friday Night Magic – Best record for June-July (June 7th – July 26th)
5. Modern Masters Draft (June 8th, 12:30 pm (Preregistration starts IN STORE June 3rd, 10 am)
6. TO BE ANNOUNCED Special Event (June 29th 12:30 pm)
7. Standard (July 6th 12:30 pm)
8. Modern (July 20th 12:30 pm)
9. Dragon’s Maze Sealed (July 27th, 12:30 sealed)
10. Legacy (August 3rd 12:30 pm)
11. Uncle’s Games Redmond – M14 Game Day (August 10th noon)
12. + 13. Two-Headed Giant Standard Constructed (August 10th 6 pm)
14. M14 Draft (August 11th noon)
15. Top Qualifier Wildcard (Best Record in other events without getting an invite)
I think it’s pretty cool that they’re trying to support so many different types of formats; when do you ever see a Two-Headed Giant tournament?
“That’s awesome,” I said. “But what about the 16th spot?”
“You’ve got the 16th invite. Dole it out however you wish.”
Yes, those were the exact words. I have the power to elect the 16th person to this really exciting event. While I’m trying to finish up the details about how I am going to hand this out, I can tell you that it will require two stages. This will be the only invite that you don’t have to play in a tournament, but you will have to be passionate and knowledgeable about Magic (of course). I’m looking to have fun with this, and hopefully have everyone who enters will have fun as well. Talking it over with the Uncle’s Games staff, we’ve come up with some really crazy ideas.
Considering this is the internet, I do have to set up some ground rules: This final spot will only be available to players who can be in Bellevue, Washington on the assigned dates (Right now: August 17th, and other one on a to be determined date). They are not going to fly you out if you live in New York, duh. As far as I know since there is no prize other than being invited to participate, it’s available to Magic players of all ages.
I’m helping get the information out early since there’s plenty on the calendar that people can plan for. I will let you know what will happen and I look to make the second stage fun for those of you who aren’t here in Washington.
So stay tuned for my official invite competition. In the meantime, you can see the official page here: http://www.unclesgames.com/mtg-invitational/, and check out their Facebook page if you have any questions.