Editor’s Note: While the title ties in to MaRo’s post this week, my post doesn’t. This is not an After MaRo post. Warning: There are non-Magic related items in this post.
– I hope everyone had a good release event for Alara Reborn and pulled some amazing things or amazing plays. I really like how this format is really playing out. Cascade is amazing. There’s a reason you only find them on multi-color cards (besides the fact that it’s only in Alara Reborn): it is too broken of a mechanic if it was mono color. Imagine if Blue had a cascade card reading:
Cascade Spell – 2U
Draw a card. Cascade.
While there are some ideas of having a Cascade/Hypergenesis combo in Extended (you have to have the creature in play for it to work), it would be really broken if you could fit cascade mechanics into any deck. Cascade has to be a multi-color keyword or it’s too degenerate. I hope this is something Wizards will bring back (they sound more open to the possibility to reuse good mechanics).
– I was going to have a post last week before it got all busy on me getting ready for Opening Day of boating season here in Seattle (I was filming it). Of course, you knew that if you were following me in Twitter. Follow me and most likely I will follow you too; a tit for tat kind of thing. I still don’t know what I should tweet (besides new posts going up) and I want to hear your opinions on what I should post there:
– The post last week was going to be an After MaRo lightly playing on the fun fact that he didn’t design any of the cards in Alara Reborn, just like the rest of us. It was done in a mocking tone, but it wore thin too quickly. So I abandoned the post thinking it wasn’t going to fly. Plus, I hadn’t written an article for a while, so I better not have it be a bad one. I had done alot of searching for the post (like I always do. When MaRo said how many card shuffled into your library after you played them, do you know them? I do).
– Stupid East-Coast bias. Sportscenter keeps playing highlights of Celtics games, and talking strategy with them, even when the game isn’t on that night. Do they do that with any other series? No (hardly any for the Lakers even). After that, they follow with the Red Sox and Yankees. Even when Sportscenter is on Western time, I can’t watch how the Mariners did the night before. They spend ten minutes on how Pedrioa is amazing and “Oh, Felix pitched tonight, 10k’s, Mariner’s win.” I get that ESPN is in Boston’s area, but enough with the love fest.
– Working on two, maybe three decks for Regionals. One, a G/W token deck with Sigil Captain, Spectral Procession and Elspeth. Throw in a couple of Overruns, Garruks, and Dauntless Escorts and you could have yourself a mid-range aggro deck. It’s not there just yet as I’m playing around with numbers. The other deck is either 4 or 5 color control, plus or minus White. Lord of Extinction might be the kill combined with Broodmate Dragon. There’s too many good cards right now for a Johnny like me to pick one deck. That’s only a problem because I tinker around with different deck ideas. The other decks I’m thinking of involve UBR with Anathemancer, Soul Manipulation, Mulldrifter, Shriekmaw and Makeshift Mannequin; Bloodbraid Elf Aggro (RGw or RGb), and Reveillark control. Any thoughts on what you guys are thinking?
– RC (Release Candidate) for Windows 7 was released. Too much stuff going on at the moment. Grrr… (Note: I don’t want people saying Mac or Linux is better. I don’t have the time to learn Linux (which I have nothing against, I tried to get started but feel more comfortable with Windows), and I like my right mouse button).
That’s it for now. Later this week I plan on introducing a new on-going coulmn. Hope you all had a great week.